Wood & Associates: Attorneys At Law

Child Support Attorneys in Michigan

Get What You’re Owed in Child Support

Being part of a legal battle that involves your children can be frustrating, especially if you feel you’re being denied financial support from your former spouse or non-custodial parent. We can help you secure what your child deserves. 

In the state of Michigan, every parent not living with the child has a legal obligation to pay child support. Our attorneys will examine the circumstances surrounding your child support case and compile evidence that can be used to show the judge why you are owed child support. We’ll try to make sure you are provided with the means to care for your child financially, as well as emotionally.

Our attorneys can also help you understand the various factors the judge will consider when determining child support payments, such as:

  • The parents’ incomes
  • Custody and parenting time arrangements
  • Medical costs
  • Childcare costs

Schedule an appointment today to discuss your child support case today.

I can't say enough about how above and beyond Brigette Booser went for our family when we were in need of her legal counsel. She was very professional, compassionate, attentive, and incredibly intelligent."

Questions you may be asking:

The short answer is no, you do not have to receive child support. However, if either party or the child is receiving any kind of state assistance (bridge card, cash benefits, Medicaid) then there must be an order of child support. Even if you and the other side agree to no support, if there is state assistance, then child support will have to be paid.

I am presuming you mean 50/50 parenting time and not 50/50 custody. No this is not the case. The two main factors for the Michigan Child Support Formula are income of each party and overnights with each party. If overnights are the same, such as in 50/50 parenting time, but the parties have drastically different incomes. It is most likely that the parent with the higher income may still have to pay child support.

No you do not have to have child support taken out of your work check. But this is the most common way to collect support for individuals you are employed and receive a regular paycheck. It is actually in your best interest to have it paid through an income withholding from your paycheck because you are not going to “miss” a payment, you will not get behind on payments, and you will have the best proof that you have paid child support. There is a lot of stress added to your life if you get too far behind in payments.

New Office Opens 11/1/23

Our Battle Creek Office is on the Move!

We're still here to serve you while transitioning to our new and improved location. After November 1st, you can find us at:
2943 W Dickman Road
Battle Creek, MI 49037

Until then (before November 1st), you can find us at our temporary satellite office located on the lower level of Cherry Pointe Suites located at:

71 S. 20th St., Suite 102
Battle Creek, MI 49015

Don't worry; our Lansing location isn't going anywhere and continues to operate as usual.